Support Mental Health Needs of Health Care Workers Providing Frontline COVID-19 Care
As the public health crisis surrounding the coronavirus outbreak continues, doctors, nurses and others on the frontlines are putting their health at risk every day, while managing the physical and emotional needs of gravely ill patients.
The mental health of frontline health care providers is the COVID-19 crisis that too few are talking about.
In more highly affected areas, health care systems are often overwhelmed by a surge in care demand while simultaneously experiencing staffing shortages. Health care workers supporting infected patients often experience concern about the adequacy of their personal protective equipment, and the health and safety of their own families.
The APAF will match donations up to a total of $25,000 for this effort.
APA Foundation will split the funds raised between:
- CopeNYP Urgent Counseling Services, which is providing access to free, confidential virtual mental health care for anyone on staff at NewYork-Presbyterian, Weill Cornell, and Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York. The counseling is provided by mental health care clinicians from Weill Cornell Medicine’s Department of Psychiatry. Participants receive emotional support and practical strategies to enhance their coping skills, with follow-up as needed. For more information visit: https://psychiatry.weill.cornell.edu/node/474
- Frontline Foods supports local restaurants that have been impacted by COVID-19 restrictions while feeding health care workers on the frontlines of the pandemic. Frontline Foods volunteers match restaurants with hospitals and health care facilities, work with restaurants to establish health and safety guidelines, and coordinate safe meal deliveries for hospital workers. Frontline Foods has served 60 cities, supported 1,130 restaurants, and delivered 450,000 meals. It is partnered with World Central Kitchen (WCK), a tax-exempt, registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization led by chef José Andrés. For more information: https://www.frontlinefoods.org
"CopeNYP and Frontline Foods are two inspiring, innovative efforts to help frontline health care workers in the midst of this pandemic,” said Amy Porfiri, M.B.A., interim executive director of APAF. “We are honored to support their work, and grateful to our members who donated to the APAF’s COVID-19 Disaster Relief Fund. It’s efforts like these that show how we will get through this pandemic together.”
Please Join Us in supporting the mental health needs of frontline providers — today and into the future.
- Contribute to the APA Foundation’s Disaster Relief Fund.
- Share APA's COVID-19 Resources.
- Learn about APA Foundation’s COVID-19 Response work.